Friday, November 16, 2012

The Proposal

Micah came to Asheville into this past weekend because my story of becoming a single mom and God's faithfulness in my life was shared at the Asheville Pregnancy Support Services Gala.  He left D.C. right after work on Friday evening and arrived to Asheville at 3 a.m. on Saturday.  Saturday morning, unbeknown to me, he met with my dad to ask if he could marry me.

Micah and I are both obsessed with our birthdays.  Because Micah had spent his 19th birthday in Basic Training and didn't get to celebrate, I declared Sunday as his 19th birthday.  We celebrated all day with birthday cake, the La Zoom Tour, presents, and a massage.  When we got back to my house I was so tired and so ready for bed.  We walked in and my mom was still up waiting for us.  She excitedly said, "How was your evening?!?!".  I said, "Good.  I'm tired and going to bed."  Apparently, my mom knew that Micah was going to propose that evening, but Micah motioned to her that it had not happened yet.

So, Micah told me we had one more thing to do.  He took me into the back yard where he made a fire and had chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers to make s'mores.  We had done this about a month before in D.C. and had a great time so I just figured he was being sweet by recreating it again.

After sitting there a little while I could tell he was getting really nervous and I thought "what is about to happen to me?".  He handed me a box, but not a ring box and I thought, why is he so nervous to give me jewelry? I opened it and inside was a necklace. 

Micah: "Will you marry me?"
Me: "Are you for real?"
Micah: "Yes."
Me: "...... yes?!"
 ...........
Me: "This is so sketch.  Do my parents know?"
Micah: "Yes! And so does Leah, and Caroline, and ....."
Me: "Ok! Then, YES!"

Micah then started telling me about how he had had the necklace made.  It has two Indian rubies (which is both of our birthstones) that he bought in India three years ago.  One ruby is the central stone and one ruby is part of the clasp.  Then each of the rubies are surrounded by white sapphires which are Juliet's birthstone. 

My only "requirement" for being proposed to was to be surprised, and to say I was surprised would be putting it nicely.  I was more like confused, in denial, and shocked.  I think it took me till the next day to settle into excitement!

Micah was so thoughtful to give me something with so much meaning.  I have always wanted my grandmother's ring (which we will get next week!) so he wanted to give me something else from him.  The original plan was to give me the ring and the necklace at the same time, but apparently I am the only one who knows where the ring is at my grandmother's house, and they couldn't ask me :) 

I later gave Micah a hard time for being so nervous and for not even having a speech to say to me before he proposed.  He said he had a speech he just couldn't remember it. haha (...Therefore we will be doing tradition wedding vows so he can just repeat ;)   jk, jk)


I think I have left the "in shock" fog and I am sooo excited!  I can truly see God's hand over our relationship and getting us to where we are today.  It's so neat to look back and see how God has woven our story through the most unlikely circumstances.  Our relationship is definitely a story of His grace, faithfulness, and goodness.

*Micah's version of this story might be a little different so feel free to ask him sometime ;)

1 comment:

  1. no, you pretty much got it. and yea, i was SUPER nervous lol.

    ReplyDelete