Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Resolution

I think New Year's Resolutions are great.  It's great to identify an area of our lives that needs work or improvement and then set a goal to work toward actually improving.  And it's even more fun when you have the whole nation (world?) as your accountability partner!  I don't think all of the motivators behind New Year's Resolutions are great and therefore some resolutions are not so great, but in general I think goal setting is good.

My New Year's Resolution for 2012: spend more time meditating on scripture.

I need it.  I have days where I just "lose it" emotionally.  I get so caught up in hopelessness and sorrow that I forget all the wonderful promises God has made to me as His redeemed child.  The enemy really knows how to catch me in my weak moments, so I need to have more scripture fresh on my brain and active in my life to cling to during spiritual battle.  Also, for the "good" days I need to be grounded in scripture so I am reminded where my blessings come from and that they are pure grace and mercy!  So, either way I need to spend more time "sitting" in scripture instead of only reading larger passages.


The Plan (all goals need a practical plan) : 
-I spend most of my "down-time" either in my car or nursing a baby.  So, I will select a scripture or short passage and put a copy of it on a note card by my bed (where I nurse) AND in my car.  I will leave this particular scripture there for a few days to a week while I meditate and pray through it.  Then I will replace the cards with a new scripture.  
-I will use the following questions to help me mediate on the scriptures.  These questions are questions that Sue Cortese uses as aids to meditation on Scripture.  
How do I fail to realize this truth in my life;  what do I believe instead?
What am I like when I forget this truth:  What do I feel? How do I act? How do I treat God and others?

What are YOUR New Year's Resolutions????

1 comment: