Monday, March 19, 2012

Heritage

My mom grew-up on a Tobacco Farm in VA.  Her town is a classic representation of the type of small towns you see in the movies and hear about in country songs.  My mom has all these random sayings that she uses often that are clearly from the country side.  I guess she has always used them but I'm really starting to notice them now that she says them around Juliet.  I hope Juliet holds on to this part of her heritage, because it totally makes me laugh!

A few that come to mind:


"Scat, Miss. Cat" 
My mom says this when Juliet sneezes, instead of "Bless you".  For awhile I didn't even realize she was saying actual words.  I just thought she was making sounds.  Don't believe me?...trying saying it really fast.

"Shoot a monkey"
This is what you say when you make a mistake, forget something, etc.  We have a lot of dead monkeys around here.

"a fright" 
As in, "your hair is a fright, Juliet".  This means crazy or messy. 

2 comments:

  1. One of Mom's classics is, "Well, shoot fire and spit a monkey!" ...used in the same context as "Shoot a Monkey" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally awesome! I love that there's lots of dead monkeys around your house. I really hope Juliet says some of those.

    ReplyDelete