Monday, March 12, 2012

Privilege

Juliet has developed a cold with a runny nose over the last few days and she just looks pitiful.  She sounds so stuffy when she breathes and her eyes just look so sickly and tired.  It has been harder for her to fall asleep at night so I have been rocking her some.  Last night as I rocked her I was thinking about how privileged I am.  Here I sit, able to be home with my child to put her to bed every night if I choose, I have a comfortable glider to rock her in, she has a noise maker to keep a quiet atmosphere while she sleeps, a space heater to keep the chill away, lots of cute pajamas and warm blankets, and I have the time to sit and rock her.  I have a child who does not feel well, which really breaks my heart, but she will be fine in a few days, weeks max, yet I still have access to so many resources to make her "sickly" state more comfortable.  What a privilege.  Many moms, especially single moms, struggle to keep food on the table, can't afford a crib so their baby sleeps in a shared bed, probably don't have a rocking chair and certainly don't have a glider, and must spend so much time working they don't even have the option of rocking their baby to sleep because they don't get home until well into the night. 

Last night as I rocked Juliet and prayed for her, I also prayed for all the other moms and babies out there who are not as privileged as we are.  I also prayed, and will continue to pray, that neither Juliet nor I will forget the ways in which God has richly blessed us and that He would use our blessings to also bless others in need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment