Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Appalachian State Summer Institute

I am in Boone for my second round of "Summer Institute".  It's three weeks long, and I take 2 graduate courses.  We (the other students and myself) live in dorms, we only speak in Spanish the whole three weeks and we eat all of our meals together.

In the mornings from 9:40-12:40 I have Hispanic Short Fiction with Dr. Maria Patracia Napiorski from Columbia (South America).  She is great!  I had her last year as well.  For her class we read a lot of short stories, do some research, have one presentation, and a final paper.  She incorporates lots of videos with interviews from authors and class small group discussion in her class.

In the afternoons from 1:40-4:40 I have Masterpieces of Hispanic Art and Literature with Dr. Benito del Piego from Spain.  He is brilliant and knows his stuff, but started off the first class with "This is going to be brutal"....and he was not kidding.  We have interpretive essays due almost every day, crital essay/research to read each night, a final exam, a final paper, and three novels to read in three weeks.  And, might I add, these are not "Harry Potter" novels....these are novels written in Spanish from the 1800's...not exactly an easy read.

I pretty much spend my evenings, from 5pm- 12am/1am doing work, sleep 7 hours, and then do it all over again.  

Boone is hot...well I don't have AC in the dorm where I spend my evenings working.  I have gone for two runs (43 minutes on Monday morning and 54 minutes today).  It is sooo hot running here in the mornings, but I have to stay in good enough shape to run the Bele Chere 5K on July 30th.

Here's to these three weeks passing REALLY, REALLY quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment