Sunday, July 17, 2011

Last Day to be 22

Today is my last day to be 22 EVER (and it is my dad's 58th birthday!). 

Birthdays are a big deal to me.  I don't really know why; maybe because my parents always made me feel celebrated on my birthday when I was younger???.... who knows?  For some reason they are a big deal and I always like to do something "special", celebrate in some way, and make the day count.

This year I have been dreading my birthday.  I think because it is the first "day of significance" (all of the big holidays are in the winter) I have had since I've been pregnant. AND I can remember exactly what I was doing last year on my birthday and I of course did not think I'd be where I am now this year.  AND I just didn't feel like organizing anything or celebrating because I don't really "hang out" with friends like I use to.  AND I think I associate 22 with some of the best times in my life during my first five months in Mexico, but I'm afraid that with 23 (and on) I won't ever get to go back to that kind of happy again.  

I have had several moments of tears over the last week and this weekend with the anticipation of my birthday being a really unspecial and dreaded day for the first time ever.   So, although this has been a particuarly hard weekend for me emotionally, God has so graciously reminded me of the many blessings and gifts I have had for this birthday... 

-I have parents that still try really hard to make my day special even though I'm not little any more
-I have had presents from my parents waiting and wrapped and sitting on the table since Saturday (and my birthday is Monday)
-My dad went out and bought me a present even though he has a "gimp" leg (aka: hip replacement)
-My mom and I got to do our traditional (5ish years in the running) manicure and pedicure afternoon together
-Leah, Melanie, and Caroline organized and took me out to dinner at Mela's Indian Restaurant, to listen to some music at "Shin-dig on the Green", to dessert at the Chocolate Lounge, and brought me gifts.  The even came and picked me up at my house!
-My dad made really good homemade lemonade just for me (which is the only thing I seem to regularly crave)
-My mom, after seeing me cry on Saturday morning and without knowing the above mentioned ladies were taking me out, tried calling several of my long-time friends to try and put something together for me without me knowing it
-Lots of people give me hugs at church and tell me I look great (whether they are telling the truth or not...I could care less :))
-I daily feel BG move, which is a miracle, gift, and blessing in and of itself (thank you, for that reminder, Lorraine Griffith)

So, here is to being reminded of the MANY MANY MANY undeserved gifts that I was given during 22, and despite the many unexpected changes, to be reminded that God is good and kind to us.  May 23 be a year of true thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment