Saturday, October 29, 2011

Children are a gift from the Lord

Psalm 127:3

 Children are a heritage from the LORD,
   offspring a reward from him. 

I always took this verse at "face value".  I'm mean children seem like a gift, they are cute, snuggley, your offspring, etc.  Everybody loves babies and most people want them, even go to extreme measures to have them; so of course they are gifts.  Gifts are good things, and babies are good things.  Right?

During my pregnancy it was really hard for me to think of my baby as a "gift".  It seemed like more of a punishment.  People would often tell me "how exciting, children are a gift from the Lord".  I smiled and nodded, but inside I tough, "yeah, if you actually want one".

Well, I was was wrong in so many ways.  "Children are a gift from the Lord" comes from God's word, meaning it is true!  I might not have felt like I was being given a gift, but I was simply not seeing how a baby could be a gift in ways more that a "sweet, little bundle of joy".  First of all, Juliet's life has taught me soooooooooo many things about myself.  Things that I would probably have never wanted to know, but things that because God has opened my eyes to, the Holy Spirit can now began to change in my heart.  For example, I have been humbled!  I always knew I was a sinner, but having to publicly confess sin really forces you to have to cling to the one and only saving grace.  A smile, good works, or a surface-level conversation can no longer be your "saving-grace" or your "cover-up".  You are wide-open for everyone to see...and that is humbling.  Other things that Juliet has taught me is how self-centered I was/am.  I was so use to going and doing what I wanted when I wanted, but a baby certainly puts that on the back burner.  And, lets not mention how I am learning about my lack of patience (in the middle of the night!).

Juliet is a gift.  She is sweet, cute, and has tiny little hands and feet, but she has given me so much more than that kind of gift.  Being a parent is a privilege, not a right.  God could leave me in my sin; in my pride, my  self-centeredness, my lack of patience, etc... but He doesn't.  He gave me a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment