Saturday, September 24, 2011

Dear Juliet,

You are here!  You are five days old now and changing everyday.  You really like to eat, poop, and sleep (probably in that order).  You like your paci and your swing, and love being held.  Yesterday you took two naps in your crib like a pro...first time being in a big-girl bed!  And you had your first at-home bath. You prefer to be awake at night and sleep ALL day.  I even have to wake you up to eat.  However, last night you sleep amazingly well in increments of 4 hours, I even had to wake you up to feed you.  Yesterday we went and visited the lactation consultants at Mission Hospital and they really helped us out!  After almost five days of me pumping colostrum and feeding you through a syringe and tiny tube while you sucked on my finger, I was fitted with nipple shields and, after a little/lot of coaxing, you began nursing!!!  I still has to pump to keep my milk supply up and to supplement what you are getting from the breast until at least Monday when we have your first pediatrician check-up to see if you are gaining enough weight.  Your weight dropped from 8 lb. 7 oz. at birth to 7 lb. 10 oz. just before we left the hospital Wednesday morning.  I think you are doing great and I'm sure we will be able to stop pumping (and sleep more!!!) soon!  I also think you slept better last night because you are nursing and you ate more since I was not limiting your intake through a bottle.  After the appointment with the lactation consultant we had your first official outing: to Wal-Mart!  You will come to find that is my favorite store ever!...even though I do feel bad they are taking over the world and killing small businesses :(  I think you liked it too.  You slept the whole time we were there!

Love, Mom




2 comments:

  1. She IS changing SO MUCH! I need to see her soon!!

    Can your second outing be to my house? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I LOVE the pictures and update. I am praying for you. I know you are very busy. Feel free to take your time communicating. Love you!

    ReplyDelete